Monday, January 12, 2009

The people who knew you when

I sat at brunch yesterday at a table across from two of my oldest friends. We have known each other almost as far back as my memory stretches. They were my friends through my awkward years; we played at recess and scratched our initials in wet cement; they knew me when I was afraid of the dark and had to call my dad late in the night to pick me up from sleep-overs. They know what I look like in a girl scout uniform. They were there the first time I kissed a boy, the first time I drank too much, the first time I stood up for myself when I sensed a grown-up was being unfair. They know me almost as well as I know myself. And even though our lives have changed dramatically since then--countless boyfriends and apartments and jobs and years studying and now mortgages and husbands and babies--they still know me. And they love me for who I am now as much as who I was then.

It's funny that I thought I had to travel all this way and meet so many new people in order to discover more about who I am and what I want. When the people who knew me when are here with open arms, ready to see me succeed, and standing like obnoxious fans in the home section of the stadium, cheering loudly for me every step of the way.

3 comments:

ktwinkel said...

hi anna, im going to be in guate city the first two weeks of march. is there a way i can get ahold of you when i'm there so we can hook up?
kate winkel

Anna said...

YES! Call me on my cell phone 42606165 or email me before you come at annathelibrarian@gmail.com

I am excited to hear why you are heading this way! I would love to see you. Email soon.

John and Darcy Connelly said...

I was close to a tear in my eye reading your first 2 entries after your return to guatemala. Sounds like your mind is still intact after all that traveling! We miss you like crazy around here. Continue to have fun and do your soul searching. Darcy