Monday, March 30, 2009

Mexican Spanish verses Guatemalan Spanish

There are a lot of things about Mexico that remind me of home. Oaxaca and San Cristobal de las Casas (in Chiapas, where I am now) both feel like Santa Fe--mountain desert air, streets full of tourists, great restaurants and galleries of art around every corner. It makes me realize that the name "New Mexico" is oh-so-appropriate, and that Santa Fe being part of the USA is truly a political fluke of sorts. Santa Fe has way more in common with Oaxaca than it does with Indianapolis, for example.


I guess the other thing was being there with Kate and the Aters. Kate speaks SUCH good Spanish she is truly a local, practically the mayor of Oaxaca she knows so many people. So I learned a bit of Mexican slang, much more than I have learned of Guatemalan slang in eight weeks of Spanish school.


And Kate and I discovered some funny differences in our two Spanishes. It was a case of I say tomato, you say tomah-toe, but with totally different words. But it caused us great amusement (it may not do so for you--if that is the case, you can skip the rest of this post!)


So, here is our guide to communicating across cultures: (English in black, Mexican Spanish in Green, Guatemalan Spanish in Blue)
peanut = cacahuate = manĂ­
grass = pasto = grama (the kind you walk on, not the kind you smoke--remember this is a PG-13 blog.)
speed bump = tope = tumulo
turkey = guajolote = chompipie (also called a pavo in both countries)


The last thing I did before I left Oaxaca was eat the famous chapulines (grasshoppers cooked in oil, chile, and lime). They make that place in the back of your cheek cringe because they are sour and salty and spicy all at once. The folklore in Oaxaca is that those who eat them are destined to return. I am down with that. Que chido.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hola Gringuita,

Que envidia!! Acabo de leer tus relatos y aventuras en Guatemala y ahora en Mexico...y todo eso me deja extranyar mis viajes y la vida mochilera.

Cuanto tiempo mas vas a estar viajando? No piensas en regresar a gringolandia algun dia?

Espero q estes bien!

Saludos de Boulder,
Jason

Por cierto, nunca he oido las palabras "guajolote = chompipie". Que raro! En Bolivia hay modismos y palabras diferentes. Por ejemplo
Jacket = Chamarra
Sweater = Chompa

grandyoso said...

Monarch PowderCats Rule!!!!!! I am trying you keep you connected to your home land. I hope whatever that guy before me made some sense.
Greetings of Fraser